News, Features and Upcoming Events
Calder High: Former Calder High teacher of 17 years, Ann Todd, tells of an atmosphere of mistrust and anxiety among staff, lack of experience among management, deteriorating behaviour since the last inspection and streaming imposed without consultation. Read more in the HebWeb Forum. (9 March)
Where to stay: all the best of local bed and breakfast and self catering accommodation. Updated this month.
Calder High given 'notice to improve following Ofsted. Less than a week after Riverside received its unfavourable Ofsted report, the inspection of Calder High raises further questions about the education of Hebden Bridge children and students. Read more (6 March)
Riverside School put into 'special measures' following Ofsted.
Tory plans are threat to Calderdale independence: Labour leader Tim Swift warned today that Conservative plans to change local government in Calderdale and Kirklees by splitting Kirklees into two and merging major services would mean Halifax, Hebden Bridge, and Upper Valley towns losing control of their own futures. Read more (26 Feb)
Handmade Parade gets go ahead for 23 June - The future of the parade, one of the biggest events in the area's calendar, had been in doubt after drastic cuts to arts funding left it way short of the amount needed. Read more (2 March)
Memoirs of a Japanese Chicken Sexer in 1935 Hebden Bridge is one of the favourites for Oddest Book Title contest - see Guardian article
YOUR FAVOURITE FILMS: After a huge response the choice has been narrowed to the six films above. Read more and make your final choice (21 Feb)
Over 1000 trees planted in one day. Around 35 volunteers planted over 1000 trees on a windswept Saturday in Blackshaw Head. Starting with a couple of hours of rain, then several hours of sunshire and ending with snow. Read more and see photos (20 Feb)
Miss Rusty (Leonara Rustamova) is celebrating a further victory. She is now free to teach in schools again, as the General Teaching Council drop proceedings against her. See HebWeb feature for extensive background to this story. (12 Feb) Update: see Mail Online (13 Feb)
BBC News Magazine: "Why is Hebden Bridge the lesbian capital?" Thanks to the many people who have emailed the HebWeb about this
Labour councillor Susan Press attacks Lib-Dem "dirty tricks" - See Forum thread
Craig Whittaker MP arrested - alleged assault on his son, in Mytholmroyd, West Yorks, at 10.30pm on Boxing Day.
Forum threads: Save the NHS, floating cafe, Hebden Royd precept, dogs again, and more.
Calder High Ofsted inspection: 26-27 January: many of the parents still concerned and angry about early GCSEs are making their representations - see our report from late last year.
Fox and Goose pub to go co-operative? See Forum thread for discussion including the owner's view.
Small ads - currently include 'penthouse flat', cottage with treehouse, room, flat and house wanted, handyman, dog sitter, man with van, bookkeeping and much more.
Latest Hebden Royd Town Council minutes now online (16 Jan)
Carlton Clock on time again - After the building was converted to apartments the clock stopped. Hebden Royd Town Council has worked over several months to seek permission to repair the clock - read more.
2011 Events - see what we did in Hebden Bridge, hundreds of events listed.
Pace Egg Play, 6 April - Read More
Hebden Bridge Arts Festival Open Meeting - a great opportunity for local people to find out about plans for this year and to get more involved.
Hebden Bridge Blues Festival free tickets - to celebrate the fact that there are only 100 days to go, they are giving away free tickets and t-shirts in a little competition. Just go to the ticket page of the Hebden Bridge Blues Festival!
Hebden Bridge Handmade Parade is on, having secured another grant! Parade on 23 June, 2012. Workshops start 2 June.
Guardian Northerner: "Cinema's future risks division in Mytholmroyd and Hebden Bridge The Art Deco Picture House is a fine institution, but paying for its future isn't easy." From Berringden Brow's Jill Robinson. (14 Feb)
Hebden Bridge musician Steve Tilston wins at BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards with the Best Original Song award. Read more
A cruise to the Antarctic? - the highest, windiest, coldest and driest of the continents was the subject chosen by Dr Geoffrey Carter, guest speaker at the January general meeting of Todmorden U3A. Read more
Small Ads - "I am very pleased to say the response was terrific and both properties are now let." 30 Jan (Less than a week)
ArtsMill Exhibition: Michele Howarth Rashman, ʻHe Calls Himself Margaretʼ. Following on from a highly successful premiere in London, Michele Howarth Rashman brings her solo exhibition of mixed media sculpture back home to the North. Read more (27 Jan)
"iconic view of Hebden Bridge" threatened by housing plans - See Planning Watch
Trades Club featured in Guardian's Northern Blog. "Good times roll at our celebrated Trades Club John Peel's 'great little music venue' is going strong, with added delights cooked up by a Tibetan chef. Read full piece by Berringden Brow's Jill Robinson.
Songs of Praise in Hebden Bridge - see Nick Wilding and other familiar faces.
Hebden Bridge Arts Festival Needs You! It's all change as the Festival starts the year with a new co-ordinator and the team are hard at work putting together a festival to remember. Read more (11 Jan)
HebWeb News Review of 2011 - read here - with links to reviews of the years 2007-2010.
Above: Christmas Eve Carols in the Square. Hundreds braved the pouring rain this Christmas Eve for the annual singsong in the square, accompanied by the Junior Band and overseen by Rev Tony Buglass.
Teenage Kicks - Young musicians from Calderdale's Rock School delighted the audience at Hebden Bridge Trades Club on15 December.
Jason Elliott's 500 Faces of Hebden Bridge
Small Ads - "We placed a job ad on the Hebweb recently, intending to keep it there for 2 weeks, but we had to take it down after 3 days due to the huge response generated"
Another Hebden Bridge pub threatened: Hole in the Wall for sale
Five hundred words on Hebden Bridge - "Everything in the house was heated by the fire, all the old terraced houses used coal for heat and cooking back then, the valley had a serious smog problem." Read more from Dave Bridges' 500 words.
Small Ads - I just wanted to let you know that through my small ad on your site I found my ideal new home, meeting all my requirements. Thank you very much for such a great resource
More from Hebden Bridge Web
- Accommodation - from bed and breakfast to self catering, a range of places to stay in our area
- Archive - news and discussion going back to the mid 90s
- Bloggers and columns - a section where you can read regular pieces by selected local bloggers.
- Books - of interest to people living in Hebden Bridge and area
- Contact info
- Discussion Forum - hundreds of messages every year on matters of concern to those who live in Hebden Bridge and the surrounding hills, villages and valleys
- Emails - a directory of local email addresses
- Events: a selection of local events
- Five hundred words on Hebden Bridge - one of the 500 years of the Hebden pack horse bridge projects
- Green Pages
- Hebden Bridge info - some basic information about Hebden Bridge with links to some features which have been written about our town.
- Hebden Bridge 500 - celebrating 500 years of the bridge
- History pages - links to local history websites, together with a selection of articles remembering times past.
- Lives Remembered - thoughts and comments on the death of a selection of local people
- Mailing list
- Maps - several maps of the town and area, including Google maps.
- Neighbours/twins - links to websites of surrounding towns and our twin towns in France and Germany
- News: Dozens of news items are posted every month; many are unique to Hebden Bridge Web, coming from our growing number of correspondents. Others may also be covered elsewhere but can be found on HebWeb many days earlier.
- News Highlights of 2008
- Photos - many galleries of photos, including some by well known local photographers
- Planning Watch - details of controversial developments are posted here.
- Radio and video samples relating to our area
- Search HebWeb - search the thousands of news, features and discusssion on the entire Hebden Bridge Web in seconds.
- Small ads
- Tourist Info
- Useful sites - a range of site which we think local people will find useful, rail and bus timetables, ofsted reports, local doctors, etc.
- View from the Bridge
- Web Design from Pennine Pens
- Websites List - by category - by name - listings of a large selection of Hebden Bridge websites
- What's on/Local events: a selection of local events
- Where to stay - from bed and breakfast to self catering, a range of places to stay in our area