Friday, 24 May 2013
Visual Artists wanted for miniature instant portrait studio
Hebden Bridge Arts Festival is looking for artists, illustrators and cartoonists, who can create live, instant-ish portraits from within a unique photo booth turned miniature artist’s studio.
Sketch-O-Matic is a full size photo booth where the machinery has been replaced by a tiny, fully equipped artist’s studio and the public are invited to sit inside as if for a photograph making a donation to the artist through a coin-slot.
They then wait for around five minutes and their very own image will appear down the chute on the outside of the booth. It may be a pencil drawing, doodle, cartoon, collage or even a word-poem and the artist takes all the proceeds.
The Arts Festival will provide the booth, the public, cups of tea, a lamp, quality A5 sketch sheets/card and some basic materials. All artists have to bring their favourite pens, pencils or paints.
Artists are being asked to email or send a sample of your work - something that you have done in 5-10 minutes - by 3 June to Sara Robinson, Hebden Bridge Arts Festival, Town Hall, St Georges Street, Hebden Bridge, HX7 7BY
The Arts Festival will then select artists from a range of styles and approaches to sit in Sketch-0-Matic, on loan from Cornerhouse in Manchester, will be in the Town hall Foyer throughout the festival from June 22 to June 30.
The booth will be open for portraits during Street Sundaes between 12noon – 4pm on Sunday 23rd and Sunday 30th June, but if interest from artists is high it will also open at key points during the day and evenings during the Festival week. The festival is looking for artists to give at least one hour of their time to the project.
To see what the booth looks like and find out more about how it works, watch this 3 minute video from the Cornerhouse.
Previously, the Festival on the HebWeb
- HebWeb News: John Cooper Clarke, Tracey Thorn and June Tabor headline Hebden Bridge Arts Festival (19 May 2013)
- HebWeb News: Chris Mullins to talk about Margaret Thatcher (13 May 2013)
- HebWeb News: Arts Festival programme launch details (7 May 2013)
- HebWeb News: Arts Festival needs your undies (29 April 2013)
- HebWeb News: Hebden Bridge Monopoly Board (23 April 2013)
- HebWeb News: Outdoor fun: local creative talent wanted (10 April 2013)
- HebWeb News: Trades Club Entertainment manager Mal Campbell joins Festival team (8 March 2013)
- HebWeb News:Budding playwrights needed for Hebden Shorts (23 Feb 2013)
- HebWeb News: Arts Festival 2013: first act to be announced is comedian Daniel Kitson (18 Feb 2013)
- HebWeb News: Record turnout for Arts Festival open meeting (Nov 2012)
- HebWeb News: Arts Festival is looking for your memories (7 Nov)
- HebWeb News: New faces at Arts Festival (22 Oct)
- HebWeb News: Festival and Parade team up for 'sensational afternoon' next year (25 Sept)
- HebWeb News: Arts Festival seeks new board members (18 Sept)
- HebWeb News: Arts Festival 2012 is over (12 July)